This winter, we need to get 10 housing packs ready to ensure LGBTQI asylum seekers have everything they need when they move into a Micro Rainbow safe house.
Micro Rainbow runs 21 safe houses across the UK. LGBTQI people seeking asylum are often at risk in regular asylum accommodation. They can be ostracised and harassed for their LGBTQI identity by other asylum seekers as some carry LGBTQIphobic sentiments from their home countries.
In 2017, Micro Rainbow opened the very first safe house for LGBTQI asylum seekers. We can now provide almost 30,000 bed-nights a year, but they are not enough. With your help, we can reach out to more LGBTQI asylum seekers. We are working hard to prepare new houses for residents, and we need to get 10 housing packs ready to ensure the people moving in have everything they need.
You can help us in three different ways!
1. Contribute to a housing pack for a new safe house
A new housing pack costs £500. Some of the items in a housing pack are:
- 1 x Single duvet
- 2 x Pillows
- 4 x Pillow cases
- 1 x Mattress protector
- 2 x Fitted sheet
- 2 x Duvet cover single
- 2 x Cushion
- 1 x Bedside lamp
- 2 x Face towels
- 2 x Bath towels
- Cutlery, crockery, cleaning products, Wi-Fi and much more!
2. Give a one-off donation
It can cost up to £5,000 to furnish a whole safe house for LGBTQI asylum seekers, including beds, mattresses, wardrobes and white goods. One-off donations are essential and help Micro Rainbow buy the most needed items for our safe houses.
There are a variety of items that your donation can help Micro Rainbow purchase – starting small at a cutlery set, all the way up to a microwave, a vacuum cleaner or even a mattress!
- £10 can buy a silverware cutlery set
- £20 can buy a set of pillows
- £30 can buy an iron
- £40 can buy a set of crockery for a house
- £50 can buy a new kitchen bin
- £60 can buy a vacuum cleaner for a house
- £150 can buy a mattress
If you want to support Micro Rainbow but you cannot commit to a regular donation, you can make a one-off donation in:
3. Become an ally - support us all year round
If you support the work we do, the easiest way to help is to become an ally by making a monthly donation. Your regular donation will help Micro Rainbow not only to become more sustainable but also to better plan the purchase of any missing household items as and when we need them.
- £10 a month can pay for the Wi-Fi for one resident
- £20 a month can pay for the Council Tax for one resident
- £30, £40 or £50 a month will contribute towards the energy bills for one resident
- £100 a month can pay for all energy bills for one resident