Join our fellowship programme and gain new skills and experiences.
About the fellowship programme
Micro Rainbow is excited to be able to offer this new fellowship scheme exclusively for LGBTI asylum seekers and refugees. This is one of the activities of Micro Rainbow’s Moving On Programme which aims to tackle poverty of LGBTI refugees in the UK. The fellowship lasts for one year (approximately from February 2021 to January 2022) and is demanding. During the fellowship five fellows will gain new skills and experience including in immigration law, how to communicate effectively, and leadership. We are aware that it demands a high level of commitment, however, we expect the rewards for participants to be significant. We anticipate that graduates from the fellowship programme will go on to be an important part of the Micro Rainbow family.
What you need to qualify
- be an LGBTI asylum seeker or refugee
- be or have been a beneficiary of Micro Rainbow
- demonstrate your interest in developing leadership skills, in LGBTI rights, immigration or social entrepreneurship
- be fluent in written and spoken English
Women, trans, gender non-conforming, and intersex asylum seekers and refugees are particularly encouraged to apply.
What you can expect from Micro Rainbow
- training to become an Asylum Guide and mentor five LGBTI people who are starting their asylum process
- safeguarding training as a group, delivered by Micro Rainbow. After that you will be enrolled in an accredited online safeguarding training (funded by Micro Rainbow)
- emotional support in the form of monthly pastoral care calls with Micro Rainbow’s Director
- access to three one-to-one sessions with an experienced communication coach funded by Micro Rainbow to help you prepare for job interviews and to communicate with confidence
- shadow a Micro Rainbow team member in facilitating three social inclusion workshops. Each event will be followed by a 30 minute debrief with the Micro Rainbow staff member on facilitation skills. You will then be required to lead the facilitation of one or two events
- the opportunity to undertake work experience with a leading immigration law firm (travel expenses will be reimbursed)
- your fellowship will conclude with the production of a short video for social media
The cohort will meet regularly with Micro Rainbow’s CEO, other board members and professionals. Sessions will include leadership skills, discussions around social entrepreneurship, working to promote LGBTI rights and more. These sessions will be tailored to the needs of the group.
What Micro Rainbow expects from you
- attend the trainings and meetings and to participate in all activities listed above
- complete mutually agreed tasks within the timeframe
- complete a final individual reflection report highlighting the learning experience
- complete an impact survey six months after the end of the fellowship programme